**Presentation One: Introduction of HeartMath: The Heart – Brain Connection
Presenter: Myron R. Thurber, Ph.D., PT, LMHC, NCC, BCB, BCN [1.5 hours CEU]
Description: In this presentation, Thurber will explore the science behind heart-rate variability training and
neuro-cardiology that are being used as adjunctive modalities for counselors and introduce the HeartMath
1) Introduce the concepts of heart-rate variability training.
2) Demonstrate Heartmath technology and a basic technique.
3) Discuss how these modalities can be used in therapeutic practices.
***Presentation Two: HeartMath and Coherence Building techniques: Supporting Behavioral Changes with an Emphasis on Addiction Treatment
Presenter: Myron R. Thurber, Ph.D., PT, LMHC, NCC, BCB, BCN [3 hours CEU]
In his presentation, Dr. Thurber explores how positive and negative emotions connect from the heart
through the vagus nerve and affect brain function. He will further discuss cardiovascular coherence and
how to achieve greater psychophysiological coherence which promotes self-regulation, resilience and
recovery from trauma, anxiety, depression and pain. Through applying Heartmath techniques the
counselor can facilitate a change in the stress default of the brain and reset the base line to allow for
greater self-care, self regulation and resilience. Thurber will present research that supports these ideas
and teach the audience some simply ways to apply the knowledge.
1. To understand the importance of coherence to self-regulation
2. To understand how to achieve coherence through breath and emotional management techniques.
3. Demonstrate how to apply a HeartMath technique in a therapy context.
4. Discuss the body of research as it relates to Heart-rate variability training.